Tuesday 11 May 2010

Black Monday Magazine Review Evaluation

In my Black Monday magazine review I tried to be impartial and unbiased, but it’s very hard to be that when you had a major part in the film’s production. I tried to make the review short but extremely detailed. In my research I found that countless film reviews followed this same technique. I also tried the review as if I never had a part in it. I tried to envision in the same way one would, if they would watch the film by themselves.

I spoke very briefly about the acting because in my opinion, short films are really about the message. However in the second paragraph I expressed my feelings about the protagonist and the overall theme. I criticised the fact that the film is simply too short to show the recession which is true. I commented on the speed in which the film changes directions. This is something we couldn’t change due to the five-minute constraint, but someone from the audience wouldn’t know this.

I tried not to nitpick when talking about the setting and the sound. I feel that I made short and accurate observations. In my research I found that most of the reviews hardly spoke about music, unless it’s portrayed prominently (e.g. a film about rap music).

I praised the setting and the characters very highly. I praised the use of the tramp character, and how he reflects the perception that society have on the homeless. Even the way how Kobina Addison is credited as only the ‘Tramp’, shows the how no one cares enough to give him a name, but on the other hand he plays a powerful, and pivotal, role in the film.

I gave a film a modest score. I took into account what the film did good, and what the film failed to capture. Compared films which equally had good and bad parts, and I found that they were mainly given two to four stars. I gave it three stars because I felt it deserved it, due to the message that was shown at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment